Here's the recap of this past week:
Lisa and I closed on the house at 4pm and we were at the house with a van full of boxes by 4:30. (We had loaded the van the previous night.) We quickly unloaded, then made our way back to the apartment, where we proceeded to fill the van one more time with items. After unloading the second time, we began to clean the kitchen. It was during this time that Lisa was shocked by something in the kitchen. I proceeded to discover that the shock was a result of touching the metal sink and the oven at the same time (Zap!). Needless to say, this was a discouraging development, but one we decided we would look at the following day.
Swung by the apartment on the way to the house and filled up the minivan with some more boxes. I went downstairs and turned off the power to the garbage disposal and then disconnected its wiring from the disposal unit. I reset the circuit breaker for the garbage disposal and, feeling confidant that I had fixed the problem, proceeded to touch the aforementioned combination (Zap!). So we decided we had better not use the stove. We called our realtor and got in contact with our home warranty company to fix the problem.
Bob, Deb and Katrina came over to help clean the house and we explained the situation to them. After the cleaning was finished Bob went downstairs to try and turn off the breaker to the oven. In doing so, he inadvertantly turned off the main breaker switch to the entire house. This is not really a big deal, except for the fact that neither he nor I could flip the switch back on. So we were stuck without power for the remainder of the evening. Thankfully, Lisa and I still had electricity back at the apartment, so we stayed the night there.
Stopped by the apartment for another load of stuff and made our way to the house. After unloading everything, I went downstairs to try one last time to wrestle the main switch free from its position in the breaker box. I figured that if we were going to have someone come out to look at it, I might as well give it a good yank. After all, if I broke it off somehow, the repair man would fix that too... So I grabbed the switch and jerk at it with as much force as I could generate. It reluctantly clicked over and, after flipping all of the other breakers back on, we had power in the house again.
I then turned the breaker to the oven hood off, thinking that I had also turned off the oven. I went upstairs and Lisa and I both thought it would be safe now to touch the oven. (Zap!) Wrong again. It's at this point that we figured out that the range top was on a different circuit than the hood. We called the home warrantee company and set up an appointment for a guy to come look at the stove on Friday afternoon.
I ran home from work to meet up with the oven repair guys. After I explained what was going on, the repair guy used his voltmeter to test the sink/oven combination. What he got in return wasa big Zap and his meter jumping quickly to the right. The two then pulled the stove out and carefully unplugged it. When the repair man tested the outlet for the stove he found that there were 220 volts running through it instead of the correct 110. Their guess was that somewhere along the elctrical work that had been done in the panel box, somewires were crossed or tied to the wrong breaker. Either way, we are fortunate our oven didn't blow up or melt. He also said that there was enough electricity flowing through the stovetop to electrocute someone. Lisa and I have both been blessed and protected when it comes to our interactions with this stove. The repair guys couldn't fix the problem because they are not electricicans, so they left.
I called the home warrantee company to let them know of the situation and to confirm that they would be sending an electrician out to fix the problem. As of 12:45pm on Friday they said they were working on doing that. The day ended without further word from either the warrantee company or an electric company.
Lisa and I got up early to move some things out of the way in the house, then made our way to the apartment by 8:30. We finished packing up stuff until 9:30 when Bob and Deb came over to help. While Bob and I carried some of the larger furniture items down to the minivan and cargo van, Lisa and Deb started cleaning the apartment. My mother showed up around 10 to help with the cleaning and Dad helped Bob and I with some boxes. We thought it would be a one trip situation, but we we wrong. After loading up both the minivan and cargo van twice, we had basically all of our stuff out of the apartment. We had a nice lunch at the house and finished unloading the vans. We ended the day very tired and sore, but glad that we were almost totally out of the apartment and that is was basically completely clean. I didn't even think of the electrical problem until later in the evening, and we hadn't heard from anyone regarding it yet.
We got up and went to the "Hour of Power" at the St. Louis Avenue Nursing Home for church. We came home and changed, then went to Lowes to look at lawn mowers. Well, we didn't liek the selection there, but we did find a 15 foot weeping willow tree that we liked. It was on sale for 50% off, so we crammed it through the right rear window of the car and drove it home while Lisa held onto to the limbs out her window. Thankfully, we live less than 2 mile from Lowes. We ubloaded the tree and left immediately for Home Depot. We found a mower and purchased 8 bags of topsoil and 4 bags of mulch. We then went to the Pasta House Company, where we ate lunch using gift cards (Free meal!) and then we went to Steak 'n Shake, where we had their new Sippable Sundae shakes which we bought also with a gift card (Free!). We then made our way home where we unloaded all of our purchases and spent the rmeainder of the day unpacking and moving things around.